Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Dark Horse - Josh Lanyon


Title: The Dark Horse
ISBN: 978-1-59632-443-5
Author: Josh Lanyon
Cover Artist: Croco Designs
Price: $4.99
Genre: LGBT Suspense
Length: Novella
Buy Link: http://www.loose-id.com/detail.aspx?ID=439

Paul Hammond is dead. That’s what tough and sexy LAPD Detective Daniel Moran tells his lover, Hollywood actor Sean Fairchild—and Sean wants to believe him, but what about those threatening postcards in Hammond’s handwriting? What about the fact that he’s seeing Hammond everywhere he goes? Yes, Sean’s had some emotional problems in the past, but that was a long time ago and he’s not imagining things, so why is Dan looking at him that way?

The last thing Sean needs is someone doubting him, especially when he’s competing against the odds for the coveted leading role in the screen adaptation of The Charioteer. But then again, as ex-lover and manager Steve points out, what does Sean really know about his new boyfriend? Dan is a dark horse—and maybe Sean is betting too much on this relationship.

He can’t afford to take foolish chances. It not just Sean’s career at stake or his relationship or even his sanity—it’s his life.

Publisher’s note: this book contains explicit sexual content, graphic language, and situations that some readers may find objectionable: m/m homoerotic sex practices.

I have three things to say about this book and the author.
1-Wow!
2-Josh Lanyon is an amazing writer.
3-You have to read this book.

Okay, so maybe I have more things to say.
I sat down tonight and read this story from beginning to end. In one sitting. My kids are just finishing dinner now and it's 8:57pm as I type this. Yes, dear CP's I used a !. I think most exclamation marks are overused, but for this !!!!!! I think I need several more.

My thoughts on this author - Josh Lanyon is a must read. The characters are believable, the story fast paced, and the writing smooth, captivating, and flawless.
Hard to believe, isn't it? My internal editor shut up and remained silent through the entire book. If there was an error I missed it.

Even now, an hour after I finished reading the story, it is still with me, in my head, wanting to be discussed.

When I started reading, I thought, how in the world would I ever identify with Sean? He's an actor for crying out loud. Well, he's also gay, but that doesn't bother me :)
From the start I was drawn into the suspense. The emotional development is well done, and so was the story as the action unfolded. I am so happy to say that I guessed it right. LOL I knew whodunnit. Yay me. But it was written so well that I kept going, please let me be right, please let me be right as I read the story. Josh Lanyon will keep you glued to the screen while you read this book. It's not one you can conveniently put down and pick back up again later. Curse my contracted story that made me wait so long for this delicious goody. And I have to say it, Dan is just YUMMY!!!!

I'd definitely recommend this book, and will now be looking for other books by this author.

Michelle

No comments: